A Brain-Eating Amoeba Found in Tap Water in TexasHunter Worsfold
The governor of Texas, Greg Abbott, recently declared a state of disaster due to a deadly amoeba was found in a county’s water supply and was tied to a death of a 6 year old. The amoeba, named Naegleria fowleri, was found in the water supply of Lake Jackson, a city in Texas. Since it was found, there has been a boil water advisory for the residents. It had also extended to the cities in the same county but has since been lifted for them. Three of 11 water tests in the county found N. fowleri, “posing an imminent threat to public health and safety, including loss of life.” said Abbott.
Toby Baker, the head of the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, said it could take up to three weeks before the boil-water notice is lifted for Lake Jackson, and then additional time will be needed to disinfect the system.“After that, we have to get chlorine levels to a state that can burn the entire system, scour the system and kill the amoebas,” Baker said. “That could take up to an additional 60 days.” Officials said they believe Brazosport Water Authority’s distribution system is clean and that the issue is limited to Lake Jackson, where 11 of 54 sites tested there showed low levels of disinfectant.
The amoeba is usually found in warm freshwater mostly in the southern states. It is extremely rare and even more rare to be found in the water supply of a city. The first time it was found in tap water in the US was from 2013. Many people in Lake Jackson are having to buy bottled water and be extra cautious when it comes to bathing.
Some water filters, if certified, may remove amoeba from your water with ease. You can never be too safe when it comes to water. Every one needs to have clean water in their lives as it is crucial to live. For your water filter needs, give us a call at (760) 994-4795.